Thursday, September 04, 2008

the bakery

I got the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day for my birthday, and over the weekend I whipped up the basic recipe. This is the dough after the two hour rise and overnight in the fridge.

Next, I pulled a hunk off and shaped a little loaf, let it rise a bit, and slashed the top to give it the fancy artisan look. (I imagine that there's something more to it than just looks, but I'm not that good a bread baker yet.)

And then: yum. Fresh bread.

It really was as easy as advertised. The first loaf was cut by someone a little too early, so it was a bit dense, but easily the best bread that I've ever made. I can't recommend the book more highly.

Lunch was fantastic. I can't wait to explore the rest of the recipes. I might become a bread baker yet!

3 comments:

Claire said...

There are few things better in the world than the simple pleasure of fresh baked bread. (Was it you I remember wandering into the Asia House co-op with to tuck into some freshly baked bread? Maybe it was Nyle?)
I can even bake bread, so I have no doubt you'll excel at it.
Yummy salad too, btw.

Brenda said...

Looks delicious! M and I got the book Flatbreads by a Canadian couple whose names I can't remember. I successfully made the pita recipe. We've found that the long (two-burner) cast iron grill pan from Lodge works as well or better than baking tiles; plus it's also a grill pan. Bake on!

Anonymous said...

You look like a bread baker to me. I think I'd eat the whole loaf! Yum!!