Sunday, February 19, 2006

Washin' up is hard to do

A couple of nights ago I decided that it was time to bite the bullet and do the pile of handwashing that had been sitting around for (what seemed like) weeks. Once everything was drying and blocking, it would also make a lovely picture.


On the left we've got the Misty Garden scarf from Scarf Style. I made this during my spring break trip to New Orleans last March. A few weeks ago I dropped by my LYS, and was sporting my fluffy creation. Surprise surprise: Pam Allen was doing a book signing for Shrug Style. I was embarassed, she was gracious. It kinda felt like the awkward moment when your mom from out of town stares like a mad-woman when Katie Couric is seated at the next table during dinner. Actually, the Katie incident was much more embarassing. Anyway, on the way back from Portland, I had this scarf in a bag under the seat in front of me. The kid in that row had a difficult flight, and during one of his (many) vomiting episodes, the scarf acquired a bit of an odor. It needed a bath.

Next, the socks (from bottom to top):
1. Opal Handpainted, from the 2004 NYS Sheep & Wool fest. Ann Norling's basic pattern.
2. Koigu KPPPM in P524, from Patternworks in NH, and Purl in Soho (when I realized that I needed to do some contrasting color to have enough to finish). Ann Budd's basic socks, an anniversary present for my hubby.
3. Regia Cotton, in Surf, from Lee's Yarns. Ann Budd, my favorite. Note: I shouldn't do garter stitch socks. They get way too baggy way too quickly.
4. Meilenweit Cotton, color 2214, from Purls of Yarn in Pleasantville. Ann Budd again. I learned my lesson: no more garter stitch.

I have another pair of socks really really close to being done. I hope that I'll get to them before the long weekend is up.

No comments: