The Icarus Shawl is finally past the Big Black Blob stage. I decided to only do four repeats of the stockinette section, and started the lacy edge early. There were a couple of factors in my decision:
1. There were many reports of running short on yarn, and I purchased this in 2006, so the likelihood of finding extra at this point would be slim.
2. As written, the pattern makes the shawl 72" wide, and I didn't see the harm in cutting out 8" of that massive length. (Of course, it's not like I wear these anywhere.)
3. I was getting really bored.
I've finished the first lace chart, and there are two more to go. I wasn't so sure how I felt about the lace, but now that one is completed, I'm rather happy with it. So: yay! I would love love love to get this blocking by the Very Special Day next week, but with guests this weekend, I won't be able to watch baseball and knit all day Saturday and Sunday. Icarus has been lying around for over a year, so a few extra days won't be the worst thing in the world.