Monday, July 02, 2007

the last time i saw paris...

Hubby landed at Charles deGaulle safely, early early this morning. I was so asleep that I didn't even hear the text message arrive on the phone right next to my head. He's in the Loire Valley for the week, with the rest of his company, touring and visiting. At the end of the week, he gets a free day in Paris. Lucky duck.

So my camera is out of the country, and therefore pictures this week are from the archives. I'll see if I can keep them topical.

---------------------

We went to see the Yankees lose on Saturday (is there any outcome for the Yankees?), and an odd thing happened during the 7th inning stretch. We were asked to rise for "God Bless America", and a spectator in front of us started screaming, "Hats off, you Commies!" Repeatedly. The whole thing struck me as strange, since 1) GBA isn't an official anthem of this country, and therefore hats off shouldn't be necessary; and 2) Commies? Is that still an insult? The largest Communist country in the world almost owns the U.S.* Of all the things one could say, Commies just seems so odd and retro.

I'm heading back to the Stadium tonight, but will be in a corporate box. No hoodlums and free food!

*Only Japan holds more U.S. government bonds.

3 comments:

~Kristie said...

Your husband is SO LUCKY! It must be difficult to have him away at such a beautiful place while you're stuck at home. Then again, seeing the Yankees play is pretty great even if you're sitting near complete idiots.

By the way, I think the hats are taken off for the flag, not the song. Or am I an idiot too? (don't answer that) ;-)

Claire said...

I think someone mentioned to me that the Cubs had a longer winning streak than the Yankees (winning 8 of last 9 games.) What an upside down world!
Hope they win one for you while Hubby's away. :)

Brenda said...

I hope it's a better ball game this evening!