Wednesday, July 11, 2007

on a break

Dear Mystery Stole,

I feel like we've had a couple of dates, and while I like the idea of our relationship at a macro level, I'm just not sure that we are meant for each other. Something keeps going wrong, and it's not you, it's me. Really. I just don't have the time for this relationship right now.

I can't see the big picture, and since I don't like surprises, so you can see that we were starting off on shaky footing.

The foundation of our relationship also wasn't the greatest. The second try with the Knit Picks yarn worked much better, but then the beads didn't really match, or help to fancy you up at all. So what was the point? I spilled and picked the beads up from the carpet one too many times.

Yes, on Sunday morning, I packed all of you and your accoutrements up in a plastic bag, and cleaned off the coffee table for the first time in days. Because you'd really taken over the living room. All the swatches, beads, charts, post-its for keeping my place... swept up in one swoop. I felt so much better without you hanging around cluttering up my chi, or psyche, or whatever you call it. It was time for a break.

I'll look forward to seeing you with other people, out there in the internets. There are plenty of knitters in the sea. We'll check in with each other on occasion. If you see me in a restaurant or theater lobby, please stop and say hello. But you deserve someone better than me!

best, me

3 comments:

~Kristie said...

Ahhh.... so sad. But what a great post about it!! You made that so cute and so fun!

Brenda said...

Somethings just aren't meant to be. Great letter though!

For future reference, a great way to pick up spilled beads is to use a nylon stocking over the end of the vacuum hose/nozzle. The beads will get sucked onto the nylon, and then you turn the vacuum off over a bowl.

Anonymous said...

An awesome post about a quite sad subject - but I agree with what Brenda said, sometimes things are just not meant to be. Your decision was certainly the best one, and who knows, one day you might find the nerve to try working on it again - and then it'll turn out perfectly!