Sunday, January 06, 2008

knitting celebrity sighting

Yesterday, my local yarn shop hosted one of the biggest celebrities in the knitting world: Clara Parkes, the force behind Knitters' Review, and the author of the recently released Knitter's Book of Yarn (which was a Christmas gift, and is now autographed!).

Clara was lovely in person, which was no surprise, because her weekly emails are filled with warmth and devotion to the craft of knitting. She complimented my Clapotis immediately, and then played around with it and the way it bounces (and made accompanying "boing-boing" noises - love her). I showed her my Herringbone Mittens, and she gave some advice about a little flaw in the thumbs.

We discussed what is my sort-of resolution for the new year: knit (and live, I suppose) fearlessly.* Sure, I'd never tried knitting with two colors before, but why not try it a week before the present needs to be gifted? What's the worst that could happen? If something goes wrong, just start over again. (Both Herringbone Mittens are done now, and drying from their bath.)

*Those who are familiar with the way I jaywalk in NYC may say that I already live rather fearlessly.

Inspired by our talk, I wanted to start one of the projects from Clara's book, and cast on the very first: the Maine Morning Mittens. The pattern is quite clever, and has some nice details that are absent from some of the other fingerless glove patterns out there. I've already picked out my next project from the book, too. It's another pair of handwarmers, which will be my third mitten-type project for 2008. Is it cold here, or is it just me?

2 comments:

~Kristie said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! You're very lucky to have met her. I sure hope she comes to Stitches West in February since it's near her old stomping grounds (San Francisco).

Good luck with your two color knitting. I'm sure it will be fine.

Anonymous said...

Clara's warmth and kindness is matched only by her sense of humor! How nice that you guys were able to talk shop.