Monday, August 06, 2007

finish-up sunday

Yay! More socks!

Pattern: Embossed Leaves Socks, from Interweave Knits Winter 2005
Yarn: Shelridge Farms Soft Touch Ultra in Forest, purchased at Rhinebeck 2005
Needles: Addi #1s
Notes: My row gauge was off from the pattern, so when knitting the first sock, I really shortened the toe because I wasn't sure who would be able to wear these huge socks. It ended up fairly fugley. But I pressed on with the second sock after a two-month pause, and had a revelation: grandma's birthday is coming up, and she's got BIG feet! So the second sock was knit (just about as written), and wow: that toe is really pretty! It finishes the last leaf and everything. So clever. I ripped the old, stubby toe and re-knit it as designed.

(One more shot, this time with detail!)

I was very sad to hear that the Dulaan Project is over, but happy to hear that Mongolia has moved into the cadre of developing nations, and thus not requiring crates and crates of warm items from developed nation knitters. I saw that Afghans for Afghans has a deadline of September 21 to collect items for this winter's shipment, so promptly started in on the stash of Lamb's Pride Bulky. Hubby thought this hat looked huge, but it was pretty snug on me... There will be more to come!

Pattern: It's not really a pattern, but the extra, fold-over brim was Ann Budd's from the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. 66 stitches, then decreases of k4, k2tog; even row; k3, k2tog, etc.
Yarn: Lamb's Pride Bulky in Ink Blue, purchased from Patternworks nearly two years ago when we were on vacation in New Hampshire and went to the store.
Needles: Clover Bamboo #10.5 16" circular and DPNs
Notes: I try to do my greater-good hats with the extra brim for greater warmth: knit a few rounds, then do a purl row as the turning point. At the end, I just take the extra yarn from the cast-on and whip stitch the brim up inside. It's wonderfully toasty!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

The socks are beautiful! I'm glad you found the perfect recipient!

~Kristie said...

The socks are beautiful. It's one of my most favorite patterns because of that clever toe.