Wednesday, October 31, 2007

kiku and the return of cocktail talk

(Pretty pictures from the New York Botanical Garden's Kiku show. It was lovely, crowded, but lovely. Must go back before November 18.)

Today had two great cocktail articles appearing in my favorite newspapers. The first, written by William Grimes (who also wrote my favorite cocktail book - go figure!) is about Jerry Thomas, the first cocktail mixmaster. I'll have to pick up the book that inspired the article. I learned that Thomas was born in Sackets Harbor, NY (nearish to where I was born), and also the home of Funny Cide's owners, the group that own the racehorse that almost won the Triple Crown a few years ago. (North Country trivia time!)

Next up is a recipe that uses Applejack. I'm always on the lookout for uses of Applejack (Laird's Applejack, because if the family made it for George Washington, it's good enough for me.) Since I always have organic eggs on hand, I'm certainly going to make the Clover Club and Pink Lady soon.

Happy Halloween and autumn!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Beautiful photos!

M has to hide it from me if he uses egg whites in a drink (although I can usually guess). I don't worry too much about them being raw, as they are going in an alcoholic drink. It's the slime factor that gives me the heebie-jeebies. I should try to be a little more brave I guess. Thanks for the links!

Anonymous said...

These photos are ever so beautiful - thanks for sharing! And reading about the cocktail goodies and these books made me totally greedy having one now for myself - will have to go check what we have here to swallow down ;)