Tuesday, May 27, 2008

silence

Whoops. Sorry for the silence, but there was a reason for it. On Thursday evening/Friday morning, I experienced sickness like I'm not sure I've ever seen.* It's been a slow recovery process, but I finally feel human again. For a couple of days, Hubby was looking at me with Sad Eyes, then saying, "But you just need to eat more! A piece of toast a day is not enough food!"

*I was calculating the time difference between Portland and New York, and trying to figure out how early the doctor's kid wakes up, so I could call dad and ask if I should really be feeling this bad... would a trip to the ER be called for, and could they do anything for me? My thought processes aren't the greatest at 3am.

But before I was sick, I made up a recipe for rhubarb crisp, and it was quite tasty.

Topping:
¾ cup oatmeal
¼ cup flour
½ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup hazelnuts (or other nuts)

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then drop in chunks of the butter. Mix it together with your fingers until it looks like a crisp topping. Then mix in the chopped nuts. Set aside.

Filling:
4 cups rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons candied ginger

Mix all of this together in an 8" baking dish, and sprinkle the topping over... the top! Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so (you should have preheated the oven, of course). Top with whipped cream, then enjoy!

No comments: