Friday, May 30, 2008

a sweet surprise

The Baby Surprise Jacket is finished, and on its way back to New York to warm the heart of the parents and the body of our new little friend.  It's my first entirely-made-in-Oregon project!

I remain astonished that a hunk of fabric such as this could turn into a lovely little sweater. I was so astonished that I assembled it (moved the buttonhole pieces up to where they should be... and voila!) many, many times. Hubby was getting concerned.

Ain't she purty?  I opted for simple buttons, because the yarn was going to overwhelm any detailed fastenings.  I think these super plain pink ones actually work really well for the finished product.  There's a lot going on in this sweater.  (The yarn is Hello Yarn's Fat Sock - superwash - in Softly.  There was plenty in two skeins, and no, I didn't bother to check the gauge at all.)
 
There's a simple Cro-Kay edging around the neck.  My shoulder seams, you will note, are not featured in the photo spread.  There is a reason for that.  Messes such as that should not be recorded for posterity.  

I love the sweater, and can't wait to find more yarn in my stash that wants to be a Baby Surprise Jacket.  I have some Mirasol Hacho - in an overstated rainbow colorway that's perfect for what I think babies should wear - that is itching to get knit.  

But this evening, Hubby and I are going to see Sex and the City, the Movie.  I'm feeling a wee touch of homesickness, and I think this will cure me.  And, of course, hearing that another construction crane collapsed and killed two people.  I don't see much of that in Portland.

2 comments:

Claire said...

That is beautiful! I love the colors and it did pull together very smartly compared to your first pictures. Adorable. You're so talented. You whipped that out so quickly!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely precious. I'm working on my first one also. I hope it turns out half as cute as yours.