Monday, May 15, 2006

so long, old pal

Last night, The West Wing ended its seven-year run on NBC. For four years, it was the best show on television. Then, in a very public way, Aaron Sorkin "left" the program and it essentially fell apart. The marvelous, snappy dialogue disappeared, as did the intriguing plot. It's limped along for three years, under the helm of John Wells. It was time to go.

The finale lived up to the expectations of the previous three seasons. The excitement of watching a peaceful transition of power was reduced to staff standing around watching the ceremonies and festivities on MSNBC.

I'll miss these characters a great deal. While I'm excited and ready for Sorkin's new show this fall, I'm concerned that I'll fall for them too, and then when the Troubles start I'll have to watch their slow death (again). Of course I'll watch. I'm excited to read reports from the up-fronts today, because the critics will probably get to watch the pilot! And I won't for months! But what are the suits at NBC thinking? Why is tonight different from all other nights?

Easy answer? They are insane: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanks, Mr. Einstein. You always have the answers.

No comments: