Friday, June 27, 2008

see a swallow?

I got the Swallowtail Shawl back on track (it only took frogging three rows!), and finished it up Wednesday night/Thursday morning. It feels terribly delicate, but I know how strong it is, as the unblocked dimensions were 28 by 15", and it easily expanded to the final 49 by 23" after a bath in Soak.

Look at the fantastic nupps! Such texture - I love them, now. I really like the final rows of the patterns, too - a knit row on the wrong side, then the cast off - as it gives the hem some heft.

The Swallowtail Shawl, by Evelyn Clark. Knit on size 4 needles, from 1.5 skeins of Morehouse Merino Laceweight. Done in less than a month, but surely could have gone faster if I didn't have fits of pique and let it sit on the sidelines for so long.

I don't wear shawls, but really love the lace knitting process. I'm going to bring my hardly-started and long-lingering Icarus Shawl on our roadtrip this weekend. I did find a sock pattern, by going to the garage and digging out some pattern books. It's hard to have my books removed from my living space, so I think that more and more will start making their way into the house. I might be getting back on the knitting track...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's gorgeous! I am a big fan of the Swallowtail, mostly for the nupps. I like that you did it in white. Makes me want to suggest to my only engaged friend that I make her one!

Anonymous said...

I don't wear shawls much either, but I still find myself constantly wanting to knit them. It must be from the satisfaction you feel after the project is blocked.

It is absolutely stunning! Wow!