Saturday, January 20, 2007

san francisco wrap-up

We were in San Francisco!

And saw towering trees in Muir Woods.

But you are really interested in seeing yarn, right? I'll oblige. Our trip to Artfibers was nearly worth the whole trip across the country. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, but completely respectful of the need to slowly work through the shelves of yarn you've never seen before. And the Yarntasting lounge area rules- and you get to keep your swatches!

The first yarn in my basket was Ming, in color #11. It's 143 yards/skein and 50% silk and 50% extrafine merino wool. The drape is going to be wonderful. This is destined for the Shetland Triangle. The design reminds me of peacock feathers, and I wanted a yarn that wasn't too varigated, but had all of the colors of a peacock. I think that this is going to fit the bill perfectly. I got a little more than the pattern would call for, because I think that I'll want to make it a bit larger than pictured.

I don't know what this Golden Chai will become (165 yards/skein, 100% golden tussah silk, color #38), but I got Victoria Lace Today as a Christmas gift, and I think that this will look great in something from that book.

My final purchases were pretty implusive; those seven little skeins looked lonely in my basket. And I don't have any other vacations planned, so more yarn-buying for months! Alfabeto (color #10, 250 yards/skein, 76% silk, 19% superkid mohair, 5% wool) is just destined for the stash. Depending on the light, the colors move from browns to plums, with little bits of magenta every once in a while.

All in all, it was a great trip. Stay tuned for Tuesday, when I find out if I have a hairline fracture in my right foot.

1 comment:

~Kristie said...

The MING is going to be PERFECT for that shawl! It does look like colors from a peacock and I can't wait to see your progress as you start knitting it!