Tuesday, March 13, 2007

my yarn from nepal


Here it is, in all its wild-colored glory. I pulled the multi-colored yarn out of the bag first*, and got to happily oooh and aaah over it. When I grabbed the pink skein, I was confused at first, because who knew that novelty yarn was so big that it traveled to Nepal? So, the question is: what in the heck do I make with these? The kitchen scale says that the multi-colored is 181 grams, and the pink in 188 grams. There were no tags to give a yardage clue, but I do know that it is silk. And very heavy silk. I'd guess that size 7 needles will work for both, but the multi is thicker, and could probably go with a size or two larger.

So is it beret time?

I hear that my friends were very focused on their yarn-shopping mission. When they returned to the hotel, the rest of the group asked where they disappeared to so suddenly on their first free moments. They answered that it was a yarn mission, and a colleague (who works in the Paris office), begged them to take her to the shop the next day. Should I ever meet this woman, I have a conversation starter!

*Am I weird in that I keep very ordinary plastic bags from other countries? I can't imagine throwing out the little bag, because it came from Nepal, but I swear that it's the same thing as they use at the corner fruit stand. The glories of globalization, I guess.

1 comment:

~Kristie said...

OOOHHHHH....AHHH.... Gorgeous!!

I absolutely love it, but I also have no clue what I'd knit with it. I'd probably just set it on a shelf and make it be "art".