Wednesday, June 14, 2006

happy flag day!

I signed up to receive email updates from my state senator a while ago. There was a pretty challenging race for his seat in 2004, and he won it by 18 votes. Really. After that adventure, I decided that I should try and keep some tabs on what he's doing for me.

The emails are quite useless, but entertaining to see what the good senator and his staff think are the most pressing concerns of the district. But on Monday I got an email that I have to excerpt, because it really does hit at the heart of What Is Really Important In American Politics Today.

A SALUTE TO OUR NATION'S FLAG
~ Long May It Wave ~

<><><>

I pledge allegiance to
the Flag of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one Nation under God,
Indivisible, with liberty and
Justice for all

(The Pledge of Allegiance was written by Francis Bellamy, who wrote it in 1892 as a tribute to our Flag on the 400th anniversary of the discovery of America.)

(Please See End of Flag Day Message For Ways to Save Gas and Save Money.)


Good lord! I wish that I could send this out to the 18 voters who got him re-elected. The full story behind this election is related to the $5.15 Is Not Enough campaign by the Working Families Party. Very interesting political maneuvering by a relatively small operation from Brooklyn.

No comments: